The Do's and Don'ts of Tinder
Tinder is the latest dating application that many people use to make friends and find potential partners.
Recently I decided to make a Tinder account. I was a little hesitant at first, but the other day, I finally gave in. After getting the hang of how the application works, I’ve learned a few things about using it. Here are a few of the do’s and don’ts of Tinder.
1. DO: Make sure you like your profile, and edit it if needed.
Tinder is connected with your Facebook account. Your default account takes a few pictures from your Facebook profile and also adds your interests from your liked pages from Facebook. The good thing is that it is not published on your Facebook that you joined Tinder or any other Tinder information.
But if you don’t like the pictures chosen, change them. Tinder is based so much on appearance, so you’ll want to make a good impression with those. Also, your profile has a small “about me” section where you can write something in, if you choose to.
2. DON’T: Be afraid to swipe right.
Tinder pairs people up based on their swipe choices. On the app, you swipe left if you don’t like the person, and right if you do. You can only get matched up if you show interest in people. While the app is based a lot on your main picture, you can also click on the bottom right to see more pictures (if the person has more than one), their about me, common interests, as well as common connections. Common connections are your Facebook friends with Tinder accounts who have had a match with that person.
3. DO: Set your Discovery preferences.
Before you even start any swiping, you have to set your preferences. This is where you set who you want to see, the distance of where people are located, and the age range. Of course Tinder goes by the binary of men and women, and you can also select both. Set the distance low if you want to find someone close by, maybe in the same town, but it goes up to 100 miles.
Ages go up to 55+, although I think the app is used mostly by young people. You can always edit your preference by hitting the three lines on the top lefthand side.
4. DON’T: Be afraid to message people first.
Once you match with another user, you have the option to message them, or reply to messages they send you. You may feel that messaging someone first makes you look desperate, but someone’s got to do it, right?
Don’t be afraid to just send a “Hey” with a smiley face or something simple to get the conversation going. Chances are, they were hoping you would.
5. DO: Be careful with how much information you share with others.
The main rule I’ve taken on for using Tinder is just not to share demographics. If you have a connection with someone, I’d say it’s fine to share things about your life, and even personal stories. You may choose to share the college you go to, but don’t share demographics like exactly where you live. If you do connect with this person and you choose to meet, you can figure out a place near both of you. At that time, you’ll probably be safe enough to share that information with them.
6. DON’T: Set your expectations too high.
Tinder is a dating app, known to just find hook-up partners and one night stands. Don’t expect it to be like match.com where you’ll find your soulmate. Also realize that some people are just using Tinder to find some friends, like if they’re in your area for the summer. It’s nice to be able to get in touch with old friends that you find or talk to some new, interesting people. However, if you’re looking for a serious romantic relationship, rather than just a friend or a hookup, you may want to explore another app.
7. DO: Have fun and take risks.
Since Tinder is really just for fun to meet new people, don’t be afraid to say things you might not say in person. Take the role of someone who has no filter. If you really feel a connection with someone, don’t be afraid take a risk and ask them to meet up.
Tinder has become a popular dating app amongst our generation. Summer can get lonely since you’re away from campus and friends you saw all the time during the school year. This makes it a perfect time to make a Tinder account and talk to some new people. If you do decide to go for it, I hope you keep these do’s and don’ts of Tinder in mind while using it. Enjoy!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent University of Arizona News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeArizona StateUniversity of ArizonaNorthern Arizona UniversityScottsdale Community CollegeArizona Western CollegeArizona State University at the Polytechnic CampusArizona State University at the West CampusCollins CollegeGrand Canyon UniversityHigh-Tech InstituteOttawa UniversityPrescott CollegeScottsdale Culinary InstituteThe Art Institute of PhoenixThunderbird School of Global ManagementUniversity of Advancing TechnologyWestern International UniversityPima Community CollegePhoenix SeminaryParadise Valley Community CollegeLe Cordon Bleu ScottsdaleCohise CollegeChandler-Gilbert Community CollegeCochise College Gateway Community College (AZ)Glendale Community College (AZ)Maricopa Community Colleges Phoenix College Pima Community College- Desert VistaPima Community College- EastPima Community College- NorthwestPima Community College- WestRio Salado College South Mountain Community CollegeTohono O'odham Community CollegeYavapai College All Beauty CollegeAllen School-PhoenixAmerican Institute of Interior DesignAmerican Institute of TechnologyArizona Academy of Beauty-EastArizona Academy of Beauty-NorthArizona Automotive InstituteArizona Christian UniversityArizona College-MesaArizona Culinary InstituteArizona School of Integrative StudiesArizona State University-SkysongAvalon School of Cosmetology-MesaAvalon School of Cosmetology-PhoenixAveda Institute PhoenixAveda Institute-TucsonBrookline College-TucsonBrown Mackie College-PhoenixCarrington College-PhoenixCarrington College-TucsonCarrington College-WestsideCarsten Institute of CosmetologyCharles of Italy Beauty CollegeCollegeAmerica-FlagstaffCollegeAmerica-PhoenixConservatory of Recording Arts and SciencesCortiva Institute-TucsonEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical University-PrescottEmpire Beauty School-AvondaleEmpire Beauty School-ChandlerEmpire Beauty School-FlagstaffEmpire Beauty School-PrescottEmpire Beauty School-TucsonEverest College-MesaEverest College-PhoenixFortis College-PhoenixFrank Lloyd Wright School of ArchitectureHair Academy of SaffordInternational Academy of Hair DesignInternational Baptist College and SeminaryITT Technical Institute-Phoenix WestITT Technical Institute-TucsonMaricopa Skill CenterMidwestern University-GlendaleNational Paralegal CollegeNorthcentral UniversityPenrose AcademyPhoenix Institute of Herbal Medicine & AcupuncturePima Medical Institute-East ValleyPure AestheticsRegency Beauty Institute-TollesonRoberto-Venn School of LuthieryTrine University-Arizona Regional CampusTurning Point Beauty CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Arizona Inc-Motorcycle Mechanics Institute DivisionUtah College of Massage Therapy-PhoenixUtah College of Massage Therapy-Tempe
- By State
- By City